June 29 – July 5, 2020
• Three Myanmar military officers have been found guilty by a Myanmar court martial investigating atrocities against the Rohingya.
• Human Rights Watch has said this conviction is an effort to evade meaningful accountability and urged governments to demand that Myanmar open its doors to truly impartial investigators.
• As of 28 June, 49 cases of COVID-19 and five related deaths have been recorded among the Rohingya in Cox’s Bazar.
• Two special police battalions, formed to ensure the security of Rohingyas, have taken over the responsibility of ensuring law and order inside the refugee camps in Cox’s Bazar.
• The EU has pledged €32 million in aid for Rohingya refugees and their Bprangladeshi host communities.
• In a conversation with the UN, Bangladesh Foreign Minister Momen expressed deep concern that there was no progress in repatriation of Rohingyas to Myanmar and pressed the UN to work with Myanmar more constructively.
• The Cox’s Bazar Civil Society Organisations and NGO Forum has urged the UN to revise the conditions of allocating a $4 million USD emergency coronavirus fund to ensure participation of local NGOs in the humanitarian response for Rohingyas.
• Bangladesh and the US renewed their commitments to support the voluntary and safe repatriation of the Rohingya people to Myanmar.
• The UK’s International Ambassador for Human Rights has called on Myanmar to reform their policies toward the Rohingya to be more in line with the ICJ’s provisional measures.
RSN follows the plight of the Rohingya community, an ethnic minority driven from their home country of Myanmar to a number of countries, most principally Bangladesh. RSN compiles a weekly developments tracker (or “digest report”), focusing primarily on news coming out of Bangladesh, but including regional and international perspectives. Highlights of each week are featured here and linked in more detail in the full digest report. If you would like to receive these digest reports directly to your inbox, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.